An inspiring and fun Polar Regions workshop
Learn about living and working as an Antarctic scientist and the animals and wildlife at the extremes!Donald has spent time working on some very exciting and wild projects around the world, including in the polar regions.
As a Zoological Field Researcher based on the remote and spectacular Bird Island, Donald worked with wildlife such as penguins, seals and albatrosses. Bird Island is a British Antarctic Survey research station located in the Sub-Antarctic, just off the coast of South Georgia.
Through his extensive working knowledge of both the Arctic and Antarctic, and species found in these areas, Donald can talk with learners about his first-hand experiences of what it is like to live and work in these wild places. Donald works with ongoing research projects in these areas and can link your learners to real life science research in some of the world’s most remote regions.If pupils have questions about anything from where do penguins sleep to how do you get water in the Antarctic, Donald and his contacts in the field can answer them!
Book now to experience this interactive, engaging, inspiring and fun workshop on life, work and nature in the polar regions of the world.
This exciting and popular workshop provides pupils with the opportunity to learn about what it is like to live and work as a scientist in the Antarctic.
- Learn about the lives and survival of polar wildlife
- See, touch and understand real polar animals bones
- Learn about polar research and experience and understand polar animal behaviour
- Learn to fly and navigate like an albatross and use numeracy skills to learn about their incredible wing spans
- Experience a penguin huddle
- Ask questions to a real Antarctic researcher - we can arrange a photo to be taken from the Antarctic and sent to your pupils in school
- Wildlife includes: Numerous species of penguins, albatrosses, polar bears, whales, orcas, lots species of seals (fur, elephant and leopard to mention a few) plus many more.
What the pupils say
"Instructor very knowledgeable and able to engage the pupils in the learning. Some pupils which often don’t engage well with learning were enthusiastic and enjoyed the experience"
"Structure of workshop was good and allowed times for discussion but also time to be hands on and sensory"
What the teachers say
"I liked the bones and getting to feel how heavy they are!"
"I really enjoyed everything! What I liked most is when we were Albatrosses trying to find the coin!"